Friday, November 5, 2010

ITT Tech commercials, my critique of the commercial where the student says he likes everything about ITT Tech but can't offer specifics.


I think I see what ITT Tech is trying to do in their commercials. They are trying to show that their schools are for anybody who wants to better themselves, and to that end, anybody who makes it through their curriculum can be featured in one of their commercials.

So, if a participant in the commercial says, "What I like about ITT Tech, long pause, I liked everything about ITT Tech", I may see, cop out answer, but I think ITT Tech sees, this is an honest representation of our students, and we are proud of their after program success.

I am conflicted because I too believe in showing people as they are, and yet, I feel the answer given in the commercial is a cop out. During the long pause where this student is contemplating an answer, I noted an overall seven second "space" for his response. So even if the student had had an answer, he would have only had seven seconds to give it.

At that point, It wouldn't have bothered me one bit if they had written the answer for the student, asked him if he agreed with the statement, and if so, would he like to claim it as his own. I consider it acceptable to write an answer for a student as long as once it is written the person repeating the response absolutely believes it 100%, and is NOT PRESSURED to say it.

In this instance, I have to classify the non response as an epic fail, and an answer that I blame the producers and director of the commercial for accepting as the final word. I think they made the student look bad, and that's not really fair to the student, and I personally don't think the commercial is helpful to ITT Tech because I begin to question how believable the person featured really is.


If you are planning on creating or broadcasting a commercial and want an objective, outsiders point of view about your commercial, contact Alessandro Machi about his consulting services at...
info at alexlogic.com
You can also view more
commercial critiques
by Alessandro Machi at

No comments:

Add Any